Thursday, November 9, 2023

Further Thoughts on Downtime and the Campaign Arc

 

Art by Evlyn Moreau

I have been using my downtime system, published in Downtime in Zyan and originally presented across this blog here, for my face to face dreamlands campaign. This is a game with a stable group of 4 players rather than a bigger open table game. Over this campaign and my previous one, which also have shrunk to a 4 or 5 person group of stable players at the higher levels, I've discovered a tendency that undermines the use of downtime over time. I think it's a tendency that arises in games where the initial default at low levels is short jaunts to perilous adventuring locations--getting into and out of a dungeon in one or two sessions. In that context downtime as I've designed it works very well. 

On my system, each character gets one downtime action between adventures from a large menu of freeform options. It involves a 2d6 roll with base and situational modifiers. Generally, there's a tracker with a certain number of steps to complete the project. A 7-9 is a mixed result that often requires one to adventure to make progress or eliminate an obstacle. A 10+ is a straightforward success. The general idea is that in a game relentlessly focused on cooperative play, this allows player characters to pursue their individual dreams and leave their mark on the campaign world. 

In online games I handled downtime actions in discord between sessions. This was fun, because you could prep and go deep with downtime, dropping tons of lore or colorful NPCs. But sometimes it was hard to corral people to do downtime between sessions, and I very often found myself failing to "do my DM homework", which sucked the air out of downtime. In face to face games I've found it works better to resolve downtime at the start of a session in about 30 minutes at the table without much prep on my part. 

Here's how I start that 30 minute period. I have a system of tables for campaign events, along with some clocks that get triggered by past player actions. So I start by telling them the campaign news to give them something to react to if they want to, which every once in a while includes a threat that needs to be dealt with in downtime or the opportunity to perform time-sensitive downtime actions. Then I remind each player of all the downtime actions they had going in the past. Without keeping notes about this and reminding them what they've been doing, I find that they leave a ton of loose threads and have trouble remembering what they had going. This really diminishes the significance of downtime. But with a little reminder of what they've been up to in the past this problem vanishes.

I then move around the table to have them declare downtime actions. I then begin resolving the actions. I find that I weave between different players as they resolve the actions, switching the spotlight at dramatic moments. They often advise one another or make creative contributions along the way, so people stay pretty engaged. This makes for a very dynamic 30 minutes that players look forward to as a reward between adventures. But the main point is that it doesn't involve very much homework for me at all. Sometimes I think for about 15 or 30 minutes before the game about it, but sometimes I don't think about it at all. Everyone understands that it's more freeform and improvisational than the sessions we're running, and I think they like that rhythm of the more structured adventures and the more improvisational downtime. 

The problem I've identified is that as the party rises in level, and gets invested in the campaign world, they start going on longer and longer adventures. What was once one or two sessions in the dungeon becomes six or seven sessions of hex crawling, or city crawling, or hopping between three different adventure locations to accomplish some multi-part mission. I could try to stop this but I wouldn't want to because it feels organic and allows us to play a deeper game driven by more ambitious player objectives. This means that downtime diminishes in significance to a nearly vanishing point since it happens so rarely. People feel disconnected from their projects, which feel impossible to finish anyway. Downtime decreases in importance precisely at the point where it should matter the most, when the player characters become increasingly invested in the campaign world, and ought to care the most about accomplishing self-invented projects. 

My new solution to this problem is to grant the party multiple downtime actions after a longer adventure. The thin rationale is that if an adventure takes 4 or more sessions to complete, then the characters need a longer break and may take an extra downtime action. (This is related to an earlier idea I had about using downtime to model a campaign hiatus, discussed here.) I've found this solves the problem. The difference between 1 and 2 downtime actions is noticeable in play. It allows each character to pursue two different dreams at once, or to suddenly make a lot of progress on one project. Each downtime feels like a big deal. Given that downtime is happening less often, I think it really helps to keep them invested in the downtime phase. When they've just come back from a six or seven session adventure, it also creates a lovely feeling that we're closing one chapter and opening another. In an anarchic game that is a player driven sandbox without narrative arcs or discrete planned chapters, this is a nice organic substitute. 

10 comments:

  1. From my, admittedly slightly limited experience, this definitely is a thing that happens and not just a quirk of your Zyan campaign. My solution for a game that focused a lot more on travel was to give players a month of downtime between adventures, not a week. So I think it really is a natural progression that as adventuring starts to stretch out during the "mid game" period so too would Downtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it feels pretty organic. It feels like there would be longer breaks between these higher powered and lengthy journeys or harrowing experiences.

      Delete
  2. In Da Worm, players can take two city actions (the downtime equivalent) but have to pay for both. So you can stay in the city, crushing downtime actions, until you run out of money (but they rarely do more than 2).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting decision to (1) make 2 downtime actions the baseline, but then (2) gatekeep it behind funds. My downtime actions don't uniformly cost money, although some certainly do.So I don't uniformly have (2) in play. I worry that (1) without (2) would have low-level characters burning through just way too much stuff too quickly. I think it's somewhat mitigated in your case also because in HMtW you're not meant to play the same character for years. Whereas in my campaigns you are. So there's an issue of pacing, if that makes sense.

      Delete
  3. This is really useful, your reading through downtime actions, and examples, were really inspiring and next campaign I'm desperate to use them.

    Slightly irrelevant question maybe, but do you have any advice on designing/editing down freeform options? I've written a module with a similar open ended downtime section (spare time between sports matches) but worry that the procedures/options I've listed are just things a good DM could figure out on the fly and don't need unique procedures/systems attached to them. A bit lost on what should stay and what should get trimmed down! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have some thoughts. The key here I think is providing a framework so that less enterprising or pushy players can see some different options to spark their imagination. In other words, I think what you want is a menu of the more obvious kinds of things someone might want to do as general categories. It's less about what the GM can figure out on the fly and more about sparking the imagination of players.

      Delete
    2. Thank you; that's incredibly helpful to hear - feel like I know a bit more about what I'm doing now. Just need to learn how to spark the imagination haha!

      Delete
  4. I've made similar observations about downtime working better when the adventures are shorter. I've been working for a while on the premise that sessions never end in the dungeon and a structured downtime system works very well with that premise.

    I, too, like to open my sessions with downtime activities. I think it sets tone and my own downtime stuff is geared to channel rumors and opportunities to a party, so it will act as a springboard for the adventure. I also implemented a food/drink/room mechanic wherein spending money on these things will provide session bonuses, like +1 to hit, temporary hit points, or a better healing rate. This kind of thing works well before a session as players naturally want to "buff up" their characters before heading off to the dungeon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cost of living expenses can be a wonderful compliment to downtime in a game using XP for GP, that is where treasure is playing a big role. It can be neat too if you have a penalty for the least expensive sorts of accommodations or living, so there's a constant pressure to spend more.

      Delete
    2. Exactly so! For example, you don't have to pay for accommodations, but you'll heal at a reduced rate and risk picking up an illness. However, I prefer to focus on the benefits one can realize by spending big money on food, drink and lodging, and especially as a group. Renting a suite with a valet and a cook, for example, can not only get your party a high healing rate but can also get you extra downtime activities, like more carousing, or even an accelerated training rate.

      Delete